Pages

12/01/2008

Boogie Boarding

Boogie Boarding

The other day I went boogie boarding with friends and family. Everyone but D, J, N, and me went on a walk. After waiting a half hour for D to get his body suit on, me, J, and D went down to the beach where N had been waiting for us. N went back up to the car to get his body suit on and we went in the water without him.
After heroically fighting the whole ocean to get past the receding ocean water I finally made it to the waves. I looked around, J had disappeared but D was still around. I still don’t know where J had gone, but that doesn’t matter.
I saw a wave approaching, actually most people would call it a dimple in the water, and I saw D, who was a little ahead of me, lay his board down and paddle his feet so that he was able to get behind the rim of the wave and still keep up with it. I thought “Hey this must be a good wave!” and so I laid my board on the receding water headed toward the wave.
Anyway I did an imitation of Belly Jones. The wave crested and then broke right on top of me. I flailed my legs wildly, not knowing where D was and hoping my legs could speed me ahead of him if he was behind me. As I was saying, I did an imitation of Belly Jones, the wave had sent me sideways out of D’s area and then had sent my board flying up and my body twisting around. It was like a washing machine.
Somehow my body got on top of the top of my board and the rushing water sent the bottom scooting along. That was my imitation of Belly Jones. After the belly experience my board flipped out and got caught by some receding water. The board yanked my hand and my reflexes sent my body in the direction of my hand jerk. Then the wave before mine’s receding water came and dunked me.
Salt got in my eyes and the little bit of sun we used to have had suddenly disappeared. So I stood for awhile until my eyes cleared and my body got numb so I couldn’t feel the sting of the cold. Then I watched D and J get pounded by a wave and then chased to shore by a second wave. Then they stood around whining about their nearly broken backs. I laughed evilly from under the three blankets I was huddled under.
This ends another day at the beach,
Get well soon D and J,
Can’t wait till your backs are fixed,
Your friend,
Fastj

No comments: